Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I know I'm not the only mom who adores every single thing about her kids, even those, at times, treacherous teen years. Tonight I had such a revelation, as my daughter Devon was eagerly telling me that she is this close getting a job at her favorite health food store. I love that she is so in touch with what resonates within her, that she sought out getting a job at the store she declares she could live in forever, rather than getting a job at any place that would hire her. I love that, out of the box, she's going for what she wants. Now....back to those teen years. Don't get me wrong, she has her moments, but I admire her when she sends me a note saying she's glad we have the capacity to work things out. I love that she wants to talk to me about things and doesn't cringe that I want to be a part of her life. Did I mention that she's 15?

Moment of awareness for today: it's really ok to not feel like you have to hold your kids' hands through every single one of life's big or little experiences, or to interfere with "Mom will make everything work out for you". If we as parents learn to trust them to listen to their own voices more often, we'll see they really can figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment