Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I am remembering my sweet Griffin yesterday, following me through the grocery while I picked up the last remnants that would be dinner. This child has inherited his mother's love of books and reading, so while I'm strolling through the store, he's tagging along (albeit very close to me) with his nose in a book. I say "very close to me", because I just realized his methods for walking and reading at the same time: (this is Griffin) "If I stand close enough to mom, then I can sense when it's time to walk and time to stop, but I won't miss anything on the page"! I'm sure we made quite a sight at the store.

I love it that he's addicted to reading. As soon as he picks up a book, he peels it open in the middle and puts it right up to his nose to breathe deep. If we're staying overnight somewhere, his first question is if there's a bookstore nearby (I've actually booked hotels by checking to see the locations of Barnes & Noble first).

One day after school last week, Griffin decided to take a spin on his scooter outside, however he walks out the door with TWO books in hand. A while later I looked out the window to check on him and noticed his favorite North Face jacket that he was wearing, along with the two books, was laying on the trunk of my car. I made a mental note to take the jacket and books off the car before I left to take Devon to play rehearsal. Well, hours later (as now it's pitch black outside), Griffin is getting ready for bed and looking for his books. He says, "So I'm assuming you took my jacket and books off your car?"......my heart sank. I looked at him and all I could say was, "Are you kidding me?" Off we fly out the door to find the jacket and books that clearly flew off my car. Of course I'm thinking about the jacket, and all Griffin can think about are his beloved books.

As we rounded the corner from our home, there lay the North Face on the side of the road. No books. My sweet boy, who always sees the best in every situation says: "Well, maybe someone else loves reading as much as I do", and seemed to be just fine with bestowing this "gift" to the Universe. Needless to say, I promised him a trip to the bookstore really soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment